In keeping with my having moved to the Hoosier state and it being high school basketball tournament time, I thought that I would center this week’s blog around quotes from the movie “Hoosiers,” the all time best sports movie ever made! (Aside from the DVD of the New England Patriots 2001-2 Super Bowl Season. “The kick is up and it’s … GOOD! The kick is good!!!!) I think there is a lot of wisdom and personal synergy in “Hoosiers” for me … (quotes in italics)
– I think you’ll find it’s the exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory. Yup, and they say Mass here the same way they do back in Boston.
– We’re way past big speech time. The ordination is over, time to get to work. When Archbishop Buechlein said he was going to put me to work, he meant it. Not that I’m complaining ….
– Ref: You need one more, coach. Coach: My team’s on the floor! The team’s on the floor; all of the priests, deacons, lay staff, religious, and volunteers are already on the floor and doing a good job. I just got to plug myself in and try and not mess up the works. Wait! They don’t need one more! I can stay right here in my office.
– Strap, God wants you on the floor. That’s kind of what Archbishop Buechlein said to me the other day, “Bishop Coyne, I don’t want you to be in this office too much. I want you out in the archdiocese.” God wants you on the floor. Fine by me. Where’s my GPS? I’m there. Just as soon as I get through all these Confirmations….
– Use the force, Jimmy. He’s talking about the Holy Spirit! I’m sure of it! Praise the Lord! Use the Spirit! Yeah!
– Now, boys, don’t get caught watching the paint dry – Hmmm. Does this refer to the fact that my rooms still smell like paint? Not that I’m complaining….
-Welcome to Indiana basketball. I was out to dinner the other night at a sports bar. The Miami Heat were playing the L.A. Lakers. It was like the NBA game of the month! Was it on? No! Every TV in the place was tuned to an early round game of the Men’s Big Ten Basketball Tournament. Every TV! And everyone was watching the game! No NBA! Thank God I finally got cable. Welcome to Indiana basketball.
– Look, mister, there’s… two kinds of dumb, uh… guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don’t matter, the second one you’re kinda forced to deal with. I don’t really have anything to say here. It’s just my favorite quote from the movie.
– Leave the ball, will you, George? Got a text mail from the administrator of my former parish wanting to know when I would send him back my keys. Sigh! Why didn’t he just say, “And don’t let the door hit you in the backside on the way out!”
Feel free to add your own favorite quote from the movie “Hoosiers.”